I direct the Virginia Affective Neuroscience Laboratory ("The VAN Lab") at the University of Virginia. The VAN Lab is a multidisciplinary group devoted to the study of neural systems supporting emotion, emotion-regulation and, critically, the social regulation of emotion.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Close Relationships
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Evolution and Genetics
- Interpersonal Processes
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Nonverbal Behavior
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Research Methods, Assessment
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Coan, J. A., & Allen, J. J. B. (Eds.). (2007). Handbook of emotion elicitation and assessment. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Coan, J. A., Schaefer, H. S., & Davidson, R. J. (2006). Lending a hand: Social regulation of the neural response to threat. Psychological Science, 17, 1032-1039.
- Coan, J. A., Allen, J. J. B., & McKnight, P. E. (2006). A capability model of individual differences in frontal EEG asymmetry. Biological Psychology, 72, 198-207.
- Coan, J. A., & Allen, J. J. B. (2004). Frontal EEG asymmetry as a moderator and mediator of emotion. Biological Psychology, 67, 7-49.
- Coan, J. A., & Allen, J. J. B. (2003). Frontal EEG asymmetry and the behavioral activation and inhibition systems. Psychophysiology, 40, 106-114.
- Coan, J. A., Allen, J. J. B., & Harmon-Jones, E. (2001). Voluntary facial expression and hemispheric asymmetry over the frontal cortex. Psychophysiology, 38, 912-925.
- Gottman, J. M., Coan, J. A., Carrere, S., & Swanson, C. (1998). Predicting marital happiness and stability from newlywed interactions. Journal of Marriage and Family, 60, 5-22.
- Coan, J. A. (1997). Lost in a shopping mall: An experience with controversial research. Ethics and Behavior, 7, 271-284.
- Coan, J. A. (2008). Toward a neuroscience of attachment. In J. Cassidy & P. R. Shaver (Eds.), Handbook of attachment: Theory, research, and clinical applications (2nd ed., pp. 241-265). New York: Guilford Press.
- Abnormal Psychology
- Affective Neuroscience
- Experimental Psychopathology
- Research Methodology
Department of Psychology
102 Gilmer Hall, P.O. Box 400400
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904
- Phone: (434) 243-2322
- Fax: (434) 982-4766